Skip to main content

Reply to "Princeton vs Alabama"

Smitty28 posted:
RJM posted:

Brevin White did not choose Princeton over Alabama. He choose Princeton over Arizona State, Boise State, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Fresno State, Memphis State, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Washington and Washington State. All these programs made offers. 

At the last minute, desperate for an additional QB recruit Alabama tried to poach White from Princeton after he made a commitment and was accepted ED. Alabama was probably thinking what the hell is a football player thinking going to an Ivy? We’re Alabama. This will be easy. 

White gave Alabama the courtesy of a visit. If I’m a college recruit or the sensible parent I look at who has been recruiting me and ask what’s wrong with this picture? Why is the #1 program in the country contacting me at the last minute when none of the top programs have been interested in the past? And if Alabama is  trying to poach me as a committed recruit who says with this level of ethics they won’t throw me under the bus in the future? Fortunately for White he saw the situation for what it was. He was going to be roster filling QB insurance. Alabama is now trying to poach other committed QB prospects. 

I think you missed my point.  ASU, Boise State, Cincinnati, etc are not high academic schools so I'm not surprised he said no to them.  I was wondering why schools like Stanford, Duke, Vandy were never in the mix and Justbaseball reminded me that recruiting is a two-sided coin.  I get your point about Alabama and I agree.

Academics aside none of them are top shelf football programs. Washington could possibly be returning to prominence. He probably is not the kind of prospect a Stanford, or similar would recruit. 

Then out of nowhere, at the last moment Alabama appears. It’s probably more of a recruiting numbers game than he was likely to ever get on the field there. 

Last edited by RJM