Skip to main content

Reply to "Private School State Rankings"

No doubt - Cape Henry is a great team with great players, coaches, and fans. It was an honor to watch them play and an honor to see our boys take the field with them.

As a Flint Hill parent, I was really proud to see Flint Hill stay in the games and, even in the second game, battle back from a deficit.

Watching the first game was one of those baseball gems for me. A battle between two very different, but very good pitchers, on a gorgeous day. What more could you ask? (Morey is going to UVA and Flint Hill's pitcher has committed to play for Rhodes College in Memphis, TN [35-8 for the season and just bested Trinity of TX to progress to the SCAC tournament]). Flint Hill's fielding in game one was stellar. Again, a pleasure to watch. While my heart ached for Morey (I heard it was his first loss in two years), I thought it was a well played game all around. But, I have to admit, I was really happy for Flint Hill. Congrats to both teams.

I actually think that the second game was closer than the score indicated. Why else bring Robert Morey back to close after pitching a complete first game?

The lefty that started the second game for FHS is coming back from an injury to his left hand. He was not nearly at his best, but did the best that he could that day for his team. He is a star in this mom's eyes. (No, not my son.) As a junior he will be someone that you want to watch in the coming year.

The pitcher that finished the game for FHS is a freshman with great composure and nerves of steal. My personal nickname for him is "iron man" because he comes into these situations that would give pause to older, bigger, more experienced players, and he functions effectively and is seemingly unflappable. Again, a joy to watch and someone worth keeping on your radar screen.

So, thank you to Cape Henry for an enjoyable day of baseball. I hope that Flint Hill was a good host to you and that you shared in our appreciation of a great day at the ball field.