Skip to main content

Reply to "Private School State Rankings"

As far as the fan stealing signs in the CH FH game I dont have a problem with it. First of all unless he had something set up with the players the batter is not going to be listening to a fan. Secondly he did not have enough time to relay a signal to a batter via someone who had contact with the batters either. Stealing signs is part of the game but there are unwritten rules on how to do it. As a first base coach who has done it many times, I know you dont just yell out the pitch. One of two things will happen if you do that, first the signs will probably be changed ruining the advantage and two, although i do not condone this, there are still old school baseball coaches out there that will knock a batter down by throwing one under his chin if they find out signs are being relayed. All the fan accomplished that day at Flint Hill was teaching a young cathcer a valualble lesson. Stealing signs is part of baseball. My advice is just be a little more savy about it. As far as fan involvement, I have seen much worse behavior out of fans directed at my players and that is when we have a problem. Oh and those of you from Flint Hill that read this, you guys are a class act from top to bottom.