Skip to main content

Reply to "Privileged & Honored..."

Francis7 posted:

A player mentioned to me that another player has been committed for 3 years now. I asked him why I never saw that player do his public "I'm privileged and honored to announce my commitment..." post anywhere.

The player said you don't have to do it. So, I asked "Isn't that the point of committing...to tell everyone else to not bother because you're in a committed relationship? It's like wearing an engagement ring."

Player says no. You don't have to say anything to anyone or make it public. You keep it quiet and just tell another school, if they ask "Sorry, but I'm already committed."

Is that how it works? If that's the way it should work, then why does everyone make announcements about committing or update it on their player profiles?

There is no right answer.   It is up to what the recruit is comfortable with.  There are people who want to tell everyone everything.   There are people who want to tell only family and very close friends.   My son chose to be very private with his recruitment and eventual commitment.   That was entirely up to him, and as parents we followed his lead.   He had teammates who would tweet after every college visit and showcase.   

The point of committing to a coach is so both of you agree that when it comes time to apply for admissions and possibly sign an NLI that both of you are on the same page.   

Good luck!