Skip to main content

Reply to "Privileged & Honored..."

I don't think the average athlete and parent have any clue what the elite athlete goes through.  My son was not in my interpretation an elite athlete but I have coached some and know some.  The average kid is happy to get a phone call from a scout or recruiting coach or a HC.  The elite player gets them all hours of the day and night for months on end.  Yes.  They use social media to draw attention to themselves and increase their stock.  But when they are done.  They also want it to end.  I have been with some of these kids when they even got separate phone numbers for friends and family.  They were so embarked with coaches and others calling, texting, and posting that they wanted it to end.  When they finally commit, they just want it all to stop and their way to stop it is to put it out there everywhere.  The sad fact for many of them is that it does not end.  I used to think they were entitled little snots but I have realized that they have something that everybody wants and they know how to put it out there.  Again, I don't think most of us can fathom that world with our sons.

I also think some don't put it out there because that is their plan B.  Maybe a better offer comes along.  And some just don't do social media.