Skip to main content

Reply to "Privileged & Honored..."

I know I have been on these various message boards too long when it seems as if I am repeating a story I have repeated a dozen times but I'll bore you all again.  Knowing what I know about the recruitment process, in no way would I announce that I have committed to a program until the NLI letter is signed.  Those schools don't have any rules.  They don't have to honor their "commitments" until that letter is signed.  Even then, that agreement is for one year in many cases.  As some of you old timers might remember, my daughter was being recruited by schools all over the country.    She settled on one school as her #1 due to many reasons but one for sure was that so much of my family lived within 20 minutes of that school.  As a freshman in high school, the HC had her try on a uniform when we went for a visit.  He recruited her and came to several tournaments she played in.  In fact, he made it a point to tell other schools that she had committed to him.  That was not true.  We were on an unofficial visit her junior year on the way to a tournament and at a rival university when that coach wanted to know why we were bothering her because the word was out that my daughter was headed to the other school.  Long story short, this coach came and watched my daughter play in a big tournament and she tore it up.  I think she had something like 5 bombs, won a couple of games pitching, and her team won the tournament.  The coach was there for all of it.  We went down the next weekend for the official visit.  He wanted to finalize the offer and stated he would call us.  When he did, he lower his offer and told me that he was lowering it so he could get another player off of my daughter's TB team as well.  It was like a kick in the gut.  She went from a huge offer to a less than 40% offer.  I know Julie (MNMom) might remember us jumping back into the recruitment process with only a couple of months before signing day.  It was horrible.  My daughter was so hurt.  In the long run, it worked out but this is an example of why you don't run around telling everyone you are off the market!

Last edited by CoachB25