Skip to main content

Reply to "Privileged & Honored..."

It's an accomplishment and going through this with my son. It's good to get the word out to try to slow down some of the communications. We're still getting letters, emails, texts, and invites. He committed as a Junior in November.

I'm just glad it isn't like football or basketball and the "collect offers". That is a tad ridiculous, however announcing offers might motivate another school to get off their recruiting butt and make a move. I think that is where baseball falls short. Depending on the school and the timeline to commit, some are no pressure, some are 48 hours or less to commit. We've all heard the stories.

I also think, when you know, you know. I think it is disrepectful to keep other schools waiting on your commitment, when you already know where you're going. Think basketball. We have a local kid who is #1 PF in the country or close to it and he announced his top 5 and swapped out officials of UNC for Michigan. Not sure how you can do that, but whatever. He also finished his season in beginning of March and isn't annoucing until 4/24. That's asinine. He already knows where he's going but he and his dad are blowing up Twitter and for what, but to sell more Tshirts and get followers. It's kinda annoying.  Let the other 4 schools back fill his spot and give another family time to make a decision. I think that is bull$hit.

Same with being let go the day of NLI. That is complete crap. I do not understand the 2023 (9th) and 2024 (8th) announcing commits, and why would you that early, unless it's your dream school. A lot of them change. We're not shopping around and my son picked on fit and development potential. He was very happy to be done and was nice to exhale and relax some after committing. He's still working his butt off and putting on weight and not taking the spot for granted. He knows he still has to compete, get better, and get good grades. Everything can change between now and 11/12/20.  Wish the juniors could sign earlier. Would be nice to lock both sides in, when both are in agreement. 

FYI, some schools like UVA have "auto admits" so you don't even have to take ACT or SAT. We were both shocked with Coach O'Connor told us that.  Luckily my son is HA and has 4.9 weight, 3.9 unweighted and some AP and College courses. 

I don't know how Stanford has 2023s already or even 2022s when we know they have a 3.8 GPA and 1300 on the SAT requirement. (those guys haven't taken the SAT or ACT yet and wouldn't have enough classes/core, for GPA requirement). UNCs was 1000 SAT and 3.0 in core so it sort of makes sense to see commits there.  We know Harvard lowers admission expectations and limits for athletes, 3.25 GPA but like others have said. You still have to get in.

Last edited by Eokerholm