Skip to main content

Reply to "Privileged & Honored..."

Eokerholm posted:

……………………………...

I don't know how Stanford has 2023s already or even 2022s when we know they have a 3.8 GPA and 1300 on the SAT requirement. (those guys haven't taken the SAT or ACT yet and wouldn't have enough classes/core, for GPA requirement). UNCs was 1000 SAT and 3.0 in core so it sort of makes sense to see commits there.  We know Harvard lowers admission expectations and limits for athletes, 3.25 GPA but like others have said. You still have to get in.

+1 agree with everything you've said except the last paragraph.  

I've known a handful of recruits who've found a home at Stanford.  Almost all had their respective academic houses in order as high school sophomores...good enough to get offers.   A lot of them took the SAT/ACT early to mid-soph year.  

Harvard can lower admission standards (but rarely does) for athletes as long as they stay within league guidelines.  My son was sitting at a 2000 SAT which was good enough for an offer at that time and they wanted him to re-take it to (hopefully) boost the overall team number.   This happens frequently with Ivy recruits as the Coach is always trying to get that team number up (not down!) so he has some buffer space.  Even with a very high SAT/ACT score, a 3.25 GPA would be a very extreme case even for basketball, hockey, lax  or football.   I've not heard of any recent baseball recruit with a 3.25 GPA going to Harvard.   

Last edited by fenwaysouth