Skip to main content

Reply to "Pro Scouts Vs College Scouts"

To address a few points, briefly:

-I don't know what a "stand in scout" is. 

-It's not semantics. There is no such thing as a college scout. There are college coaches and pro scouts. It's a job title. I know folks here don't care what they're called, but scouts and coaches do.

5tools22:

Coaches stress pitchers to be sub-1.3 to home plate, and catchers at the professional level are generally sub-2.0 pop times. So, a stolen base under 3.3 is considered above average. 3.2 would be a good time, but does not equate with a sub-4.0 home-to-1st time for a RHH, which is elite. Scouts don't grade stolen base times but I'd imagine a 3.2 would be a "60" on the 20-80 scouting scale, while a sub-4.0 RHH is an "80."

It's good to see you're already being somewhat proactive. Don't worry about his future potential to redshirt or where he falls in with regard to age eligibility outside of college. College coaches will decide on redshirts and, frankly, age eligibility outside of their program is not of concern to them. 

Due to your son's academic qualifications, I'd suggest broadening your initial search to include all schools in which you feel he may be a fit, and then begin narrowing as particular desired academic programs and athletic caliber becomes more apparent. I know someone that went through a medical redshirt and attended a different school than undergrad for his 5th year of eligibility to obtain a Master's degree, and he reached out directly to 81 different schools with interest. A half dozen or so came back with reciprocated interest. It's sometimes a tough process but in the end, if done properly, maximizing the benefits to the player works out well.