Skip to main content

Reply to "Pro vs College question"

Vance,
Thanks! That was a good excercise for you when you need to discuss bonus round money with a prospect! Big Grin

I think this thread has run it's course, but let me make one thing clear, I have never, that I can remember, might be wrong though said here it is a pipe dream. What I have stated is that it is a personal decision, may be determeined by a lot of different factors. Those factors include bonus money offered by round, school attending, scholarship amount or just the prospect's desire to begin working at 17,18 (yes it IS a job) or the desire to go to college first. Because you might desire to go to college first does not mean you will be giving up "the dream" to be a MLB player some day.
I know that you have told me that since my son was never drafted it is wrong of me to give advice, but that is entirely wrong statment on your part. We actually were one of those who had very difficult decision, get drafted first 10 rounds or go to school, with an excellent program, with a coach who has had over 90 players drafted in 12 years, some first rounders and major league players. So for him , that was a good choice.
It is important for all of us to try to help parents and players to understand the ENTIRE process from college recruiting to draft possibilities. As stated there are two sides to the coin, and should NOT be about whether you get a mil or 5K but the desire to begin your pro career earlier. If someone thinks that they are worth more to give up college, then that is their perogative to do so or not.

For most of our sons they all want to go onto play ball for a living. But not all of our sons are the same, some choose different ways to get there and some never get the chance while some do.
It's all about finally reaching the final stage, going on to play in the show, for as long as you can. How and when you get there is based upon your ability and your willingness to work hard for the opportunity beginning at 17,18,19,20,21,22 or 23.
Trying to convince someone to sign so he can buy his mom a dishwasher makes no sense to me!

JMO.
Last edited by TPM