Skip to main content

Reply to "Progress toward Graduation - Reductions Hit!"

TPmom,

I am well aware that baseball players more than hold there own academically - and good on em! I think, as I heard others mention, they eclipse football and basketball. But FB and BB schedules (academically) aren't as tough as Baseball. My point isn't that academics aren't important. It's that academics aren't measured for the general populace and punishment meated out.

If a school has an overal graduation rate of 70 percent of all freshmen enrolled why should they have to have a higher standard for all athletes enrolled? No one is pinging their non-athlete ratio pull_hair

As for the JUCO point, for instance, kids who might otherwise not get into a school without sports will get in to a lesser degree now. For instance, if you wanted to go to Stanford and had a 3.8GPA and 1300 SAT you probably aren't sniffing Stanford -- unless you're an athlete. I've know 4.0 GPA's and 1500 SATs that didn't make Stanford's wait list --snuffed. Proportionately speaking, this relationship will liely trickle down so that a kid who's marginal say 2.5 and 1000 (and there are alot of those) as athletes may not get into Texas or FSU now. It may be the JUCO for them...and there are alot of "them."

Sorry but I have strong negative feelings about the NCAA -- period! boxing