Skip to main content

Reply to "Projectable vs. Work Ethic"

@lucky4three

I understand what you are saying, and I probably uttered those words more than a few times 10-15 years ago.  It is probably even more so today given the transfer portal situation, and  JUCO popularity.   Coaches can be more selective with their recruits.  To me, this means your son has to be realistic and understand the marketplace better.

Years ago, I figured out there was a frame low water mark for D1 P5 at about 6'2".  The feedback my son (RHP 6'1") got from those coaches referenced his frame more than once.   I don't know what that ceiling is today, but I suspect it is taller.   He had the velocity, and pitch selection of a D1 P5 recruit but he didn't have the frame projectability.  He had three players from his travel team go to UVA.  Two were RHPs and both were very big boys in the 6'3"-6'4" 210-220lbs range.  One of them had a similar variety of pitches to my son and the other just threw 2 pitches.  My son was 6'1" 180lbs.  He got no recruitment love at UVA.   It was the same at Virginia Tech.   Reality struck.   He moved on and found serious interest and offers in the D1 Mid-Majors, Ivy & Patriot League as well as some D3 HA programs.

If your son is a great pitcher as you advocate, then he needs to be persistent to get in front of the right coaches until he finds the best fit.  This doesn't happen overnight.    We went through a few different phases of recruitment where the only thing that changed was our strategy or approach.   You have to be willing to try something different when it becomes apparent your son is either not get positive responses or targeting the wrong audience or both.  My son went on to have a great college career and experience, and their was no question it was the right fit.

Good luck!   

Last edited by fenwaysouth