Skip to main content

Reply to "Projectable vs. Work Ethic"

Unfortunately the world is a mean place.  My son first hit 90 as a junior in HS.  He was 5'10 and around 160.   The summer after his junior year he played for one of the top programs in the state.  He was also getting looks as an infielder.   His summer team had a 6'5 lefty who was hitting 90.  The games that my son wasn't playing INF he would relieve the 6'5 kid.  The big lefty had everyone east of the Mississippi looking at him.  He would throw 3 or 4 innings....with 50+ coaches there.  He would come out....my son would go in...and was popping the mitt in warmups...but guess what....by the time he threw his first pitch the next inning there were maybe 3 coaches left....lol.   He was 88-90 all summer....with 3 pitches...but wasn't 6'5.   It drove him crazy, but fortunately he found a team to take a chance on him.   He hit 93 his sophomore year...and if it wouldn't have been for an arm injury his junior year...who knows.   Baseball is hard.   There are tens of thousands of HS kids who want to play in college....and 1000's of college kids who want to go pro.  The odds are almost ZERO.   The people who understand that going in....instead of finding out later....are much better off