Skip to main content

Reply to "Promoting your son"

I think we can all agree that the kid has to show some excellence at the game elsewise there isn't anything to promote or talk about.

Most parents don't promote their kids and many of the good players get lost in the shuffle because their high school coaches don't promote them. And then you have many players who could get the PR, but they don't come from the right program, or they are viewed as undesirable because one promoter, coach, or scout, says something negative about them that sticks.

I saw a young black man here where we live, never got to play much in high school, but findly got his chance as a walk-on in college, whereupon he was All-Conference and MVP of his team.

There are a lot of reasons players don't make it, not all of them have to do with talent. It's called the politics of baseball, and it's not always a pretty thing to watch.

I believe that it is up to the parents to help their children achieve their dreams using whatever means of support they can. It is no different for any other endeavvor that needs the networking benefits of recognition, recommendation, and influence.

But all of it is moot if the kid doesn't have the "goods".
Last edited by PiC