Skip to main content

Reply to "Proper Etiquette When Visiting A School That Wants You"

Originally Posted by mj 8: MJ your situation is very familiar. I too have a 2014 that has made an official visit and is an exceptional student. His mother and he made the trip, really liked the school, the players were great and the coaches were exceptionally kind to him. It is a high academic school and with his grades it looks to have a nice piece of the tuition covered but being a small division and high caliber school the costs are quite high, especially since I currently have another son in college playing for a D-2 and even with him having some coverage we still have costs associated with that.
My point is we really want the player to attend this college and he has the smarts to do it. With that being said the coach has made it completely known what his role will be as a freshman and we were excited about it, but it's still a hefty financial contribution to go there.
We have spoken to the coach and were honest we had a few concerns and he gave us a few pointers on applying.
When it comes down to it I just have a HARD time seeing how some of these families truly afford this great dream of playing at the next level and receiving an excellent education. I know what I make and I have a few concerns on how to make it happen. The one thing as a parent that I promised my self that I would not do is strap my boys with huge amounts of student loans. I lived this nightmare myself and promised I would not do that to them.

What's the secret?