Skip to main content

Reply to "Prospect Camps: Money or Recruiting?"

It's all about MONEY. Some are better than others, but if your son does not run a sub-6.7 60 or thow in the upper 80s -low 90s or gap or fence about every ball he hits in BP, or better yet, a combination of the above - I'm talking about the kid whose skills are so far and away superior to all the other kids present that he just sticks out like a sore thumb above all the rest [in which event he would have long ago been "seen" anyway] showcases are an absolute waste of time if being "seen" by that dream college coach / pro scout is the purpose.

If you want to go out and put the kid in a pressure situation to see how he performs, or just see how he stacks up, fine, it's good expreience. But unless your kid can be among the best one or two kids at the camp AND if the camp is actually attended by real, live scouts and coaches anywhere near what the marketing materials suggest, take a shot. Otherwise, spend your time and money doing something else.

I have been to a pay-to-play showcase attended by over 100 kids where only one D-1 coach was there (and a couple of "associate scouts") and to a college-hosted "prospect camp" where only the director of baseball operations, the G.A. and one, count-it, one juco coach were present.

ASK QUESTIONS and only deal with the most reputable sponsors & schools, if at all.

Personally, I don't mind my kid trying and failing or falling short - it happens. BUT, getting taken by people who only want mom and dad's money - that's something that the sport would be best rid of.

BUYER BEWARE.
Last edited by texdad10