Skip to main content

Reply to "Prospect Camps: Money or Recruiting?"

It is interesting to read the various viewpoints about college camps. There are a few things that stand out to me:

1. Some parents/players are using these as a way of evaluating the colleges and even more specifically the coaching staffs and practice facilities.

2. Some parents/players are hoping that their attendance will perhaps get them recruited at the colleges or at others whose coaches are present.

3. My son attended two college camps, both during his junior year of high school. The only thing I and he were interested in was that he was getting instruction and that he could take that instruction and use it for improvement.

Are the schools/coaches making some money? Yes. If there are 100 players attending, chances are only a very small percentage of them, if any, will actually be recruited by the school.

Each kid, along with his family, should determine what is desired out of attending these camps, and accept the fact that there is a small chance it will lead to a scholarship.

I understand that some camps are called prospect camps. If a kid doesn't learn anything that can make him better though, in my opinion, then it is not beneficial to attend.