Skip to main content

Reply to "Prospective College Players Scouting Current and Potential Teammates"

You deal with the roster at hand. 3 years ago Adley Rutschman was just a kid with a good bat who had never been to a PG event. He hit .230 as a freshman. You can't predict these things. Easier to ask "where do you see me playing in the field" and "how many other guys are you carrying/bringing in at my position". You can't go in thinking that you're going to get cut. But if a school already has another committed catcher who is a PG All American you're probably better served looking elsewhere. 

I've never had a problem with early commits. But I don't think it's wise to commit to a program when you have no clue what the roster or coaching staff is going to look like in 3-5 years. Ideally you wait until after you are finished with the sophomore school year but everybody has their reasons. A coach of a school was fired and a new staff came in. I was talking to one of the new assistants at a tournament and asked what he thought of a sophomore committed to his new school. He said the kid hadn't reached out in the two months he'd been on board. If they didn't like what they saw he wouldn't be receiving an NLI, no notice. 

Just gauge the room when you have offers and ask the tough questions. Expect there to be 2-5 combined committed/rostered catchers at any given time.