Skip to main content

Reply to "Prospective College Players Scouting Current and Potential Teammates"

RJM posted:
PABaseball posted:
adbono posted:

Francis, you are spinning your wheels, trying so hard to control a process that YOU can’t control. The fate of of your son will be determined by his ability to play the game (not measurables), the quality of the coaching he receives (especially travel ball), how much he improves, how he performs on the bigger stages, and the connections that his coaches and private instructors can use to your son’s benefit. The best thing you can do is get him with the right people and get out of the way. 

To be fair, it was a reasonable question - Are/were you guys checking out the rosters when searching for schools? - 

Has nothing to do with coaches, connections, or talent. How much did the roster influence your son's decision on the school? I know plenty of guys on their second school who probably should have given the roster a better look before they committed. 

Did they not give a better look or did they  put on the rose colored glasses and choose their dream school or conference that liked them over the program that showed love? 

I believe an honest perspective of “can I compete at this level” is more important then who is on the roster. If a position player hits he’s going to play somewhere.

Both. Mostly rose colored glasses, but also some guys who were more than capable, but did not get the time they could have if the roster looked a bit different. I know a catcher who got caught in a log jam at a P5 school. Left after a year and went Juco route. Back to a school in the same conference where he started after a JC year. He would go onto to be the starting catcher in his remaining years there and play in a super. He was definitely a fit at both schools, just a lot of depth.