Skip to main content

Reply to "PROUD OF MY COUNTRY"

Racab:

Please do not misunderstand...I am in no way disparaging the kids from the DR or any other Latin country. My point was more of a shot at MLB who spends only a fraction in the US vs. the DR. I also believe that the kids in the DR are exploited to a degree because of the smaller signing bonus' etc. Imagine taking a kid at 15 have him in an academy for 3-4 years where they do get training (physical as well as baseball) they get meals and medical care (sometimes more than what their parents can afford at home). But if the kid doesn't make it what happens to him? Has he learned a skill that will provide him with a living? What happens if he blows out his elbow or knee? Are they getting an education, outside of baseball, to help them get on with their lives? So your point about MLB getting these kids on the cheap is very true. What about the thousands who don't make it? Again, please understand my position...I think there is some sentiment around the country that kids from the US don't want "it" as badly...I don't think so. I do think that US kids have more options than kids from the DR which are made available to them through HS and college. As Michael Jordan used to say...think MBA not NBA for long term success.