Skip to main content

Reply to "Providing Handouts at Showcase Events"

smokeminside posted:

Probably just as many did NOT write back.  My question is this: if they did NOT write back does that mean we should no longer bother them with updates?  Is their silence a message? 

I agree with BigHurt,  Some coaches are going to read and respond.  Some are going to read and not respond.  Some are going to not read and not respond.   You can't control it, and I think a key ingredient in being recruited is persistence.  Got to have persistence coming out of your pores.   The best way to keep in touch with these coaches (without wasting their time) is with a real milestone achievement such as grades, velocity, 60 time, act or sat score.  Emails lead to phone calls and phone calls lead to possibly developing a relationship with a recruiting coach.

The next question is when to stop.  I don't think you stop until you realize you are sending it to a program that is clearly out of reach (athletically or academically) or you've become disinterested in the program.  If you think the program is the right fit, I'd keep on sending updates and upbeat communications.  Let's face it folks....this is marketing 101 for your son.   He is going to use these skills in 3-4 years to find a job.  Coaches are busy, and coaches turnover in programs all the time.  In some cases we heard from programs a month or two after my son had sent them an update.   Your son has to learn to sell himself and his skills.