Skip to main content

Reply to "Proving an old coach wrong!!!"

Back when my son was 11, he played on a travel team for the 1st time.  It was just for the fall as kind of a fill in for some kids playing football.  He did very well and the coach begged for him to show up to tryouts for the spring team.  Well, he did go to the tryouts and did not make the team.  My son was devastated.  He cried that night.  We were not real happy with that coach.  He went back and played rec ball that spring.  

Two things happened after that which kind of helped us get our "revenge".  At the end of the spring season, that team needed some help for their end of the year tournament and they called and asked if my son would like to play.  He mulled it over and wound up saying yes.  He pitched, played short, 2nd and some outfield.  Pitched very well, made some spectacular plays in the field and hit well also.  All the parents on the team kept asking why we weren't playing for them and we told them because son was cut for the spring season.  They made a huge deal about it and it made my son feel pretty good.  He declined to play for them the following fall.  The other thing that happened was that his freshman year in HS, he was a starting pitcher on the HS varsity team.  We went to the school of the district where this coach lived to play their team.  That team was ranked #6 in the state in the highest classification at the time.  Well, that coach was at the game.  My son pitched a complete game and lost it 1-0.  The game lasted a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes and he threw 71 pitches in 6 innings.  I think I made a comment to the coach about him cutting my son that year and he admitted that it was a big mistake.  My son loved the fact that he pitched a great game and that coach was there.  Even said hi to him and shook hands after the game.  No animosity, no anger, just a really good feeling that the coach got to see what he had missed out on.

I would not let this anger you have rule your behavior.  As others have said, be the bigger man.  Just go out and do your job on the mound.  If you have the opportunity after the game, shake the coach's hand and tell him - Good game coach - and walk away.  That will have MUCH more impact than cussing him out.