Skip to main content

Reply to "Puig"

Originally Posted by OldSkool2:
Originally Posted by infielddad:

One question is what is the statistical evidence that the game is played better, in situational situations, based on the statistical look back.

Stated in a different manner, on MLB TV I am listening to nearly identical analysis which I have read and heard for many years. This guy looks like,,,,,,, reminds me of........., projectible body, going to get bigger and stronger....

How is any of the narrative from 4pm, EDT to now, any different in projecting? When dp stats work or not, iin analyzing a baseball situation where they were applied, not looked at in the rear view mirror..  I love reading the Bill James stuff. I also love what Brian Sabean does, for instance.  Baseball has an amazing human element, emphasized today by the death of Don Zimmer. If the statistical elements make the human judgments better, that is all the better.  This discussion, to  me at least, is using them to say past judgments were wrong. Maybe I am misunderstanding but that is what I am reading.

So the 2 points in your eyes is, some of us think we can look back use statistical analysis and say, hey, this did nothing. You think we can’t look back and say it was wrong and that Ralph Houk knows better than we do?

I am pretty old but I think my earlier post is I love reading and learning about Bill James and his information AND I love reading and learning of the Brian Sabean approach. They are not the same and for a number of years, I questioned the Sabean approach. Over the last 7-8 years, he has made a huge believer of this guy.

And yes, I don't think you can take current data and put it in the context, pressure and environment of 1961 with Houk. To do so, to me, diminishes Houk, Mantle, Maris and baseball being a team game. Just my view!

Last edited by infielddad