Skip to main content

Reply to "Pull Downs Velocity"

Put me in the "pull downs are largely worthless" camp.  Do some coaches look at it?  I'm sure there are some.  Do a lot?  Not today - certainly not yet.  IMO, they're a flavor of the day that was cooked up by someone who stood to make money off inventing a new measurable no one else was offering.  When it becomes a standard measurable on PG, PBR, etc's sites, let's reconvene.

We have a local pitching instructor here that is well-respected and widely known.  His name got hot and it got hot quick.  Velocity training is his specialty and his services were so desired, that his schedule filled up.  Some parents were paying for it year round because it was the only way to guarantee to keep your spot.  I was actually tempted to buy into the hype.  At any rate, there was one specific moment when I immediately lost interest and my cynicism won out.  He tweeted out a short video of one of my son's peers throwing a pull down and hitting 90 mph on the radar. The caption read "Join me in welcoming Johnny Doe to the 90 mph club!"  Nope.  Sorry.  You're not in that club if you're not throwing 90 consistently.  By actually pitching.  My son's OF velo a year ago was 90 mph according to PBR.  Is my kid in the 90 mph club?  Of course not.  He doesn't pitch anymore, but if he did this year, my guess is that he'd be sitting 85-86.  In no universe is he near the 90 mph club.

But I digress.  That kid who supposedly entered the 90 mph club 2 years ago was sitting 81-82 when he actually pitched that season - on his high school JV squad.  Anyone know any 90 mph club members who can't make their high school varsity team?  The prosecution rests.

Last edited by DanJ