Skip to main content

Reply to "Punishment Running"

Keep talking solutions, guys.  We had a thread like this a while back and there were a few decent ideas but it really is difficult.  I'd love to hear more "better options".

2020dad, the problem is that, so many times, the offender IS wasting practice time with whatever the offense was... by screwing around or being disrespectful and not listening or distracting others or being late.  So what is your favorite solution?

Sometimes "hit the bench" doesn't work either because we are trying to practice with the pieces in the right place to maximize things and when one of the pieces is on the bench, we are not getting better.  And for those of us with smallish rosters, we need every extra guy for any sort of situational stuff.  Kids generally like to hit and play games most.  But again, if they don't hit, they aren't getting any better.  If they are not in the inter-squads, we're short another player.

Also, one could make the same argument about field prep.  We want our boys to take pride in their field and want to keep it up, not think of it as punishment.

I totally understand and agree largely with the argument against running but at least with running, they and the team are benefiting physically.

I'm all ears for more ideas.  The storage shed can only be cleaned out so many times.

PS - I will add (to eliminate this as the solution) that setting the proper expectations and tone and having the proper respect from the beginning is crucial and eliminates the majority of these issues and we do that but you still get those moments...

Last edited by cabbagedad