Skip to main content

Reply to "Punishment Running"

Cabbage, I agree with your premise.  When I was a head coach I always told my staff they were welcome to disagree with anything we do so long as they offered an idea or suggestion.  Otherwise its just a complaint.  Problem.with these hypotheticals is we never have enough information.  But none the less since your request is a fair one here goes:  First you have to establish what kind of screwing around are we talking about?  A certain amount of screwing around is part of baseball - it is a unique sport.  But more importantly you need to look in the mirror and ask how well organized are your practices?  An ounce if prevention is worth a pound of cure!  Even though every baseball coach I know 'says' they want everyone involved at practice I still see many of them with way too many kids standing around.  Kids standing around leads to too much boredom and temptation to liven things up in their own way.  But lets say your practice is crisp and well organized and a kid just won't stop screwing around and you have obviously first tried talking to him about it.  I just don't recall many of these situations.  But if this is really the case is this really a player you want?  I would send him home if it was off season workout.  If it were in season I would stick with bench time.  I understand small rosters and the other kids being hurt by his absence but it is HIM doing it to his teammates not you.  And to be honest if I were doing all I reasonably can as a coach and he just won't change his behavior I am removing him from the team permanently.   If it negatively impacts our record or we have to stretch to bring somebody up to replace him so be it.  Now if we are talking about a kid already playing up maybe you send him down first.  Again this is a rough draft.  We would all need a specific to give a true hard and fast answer.