Skip to main content

Reply to "purposed pitch count policy"

I would like to see one additional provision added which all of these seem to overlook (and which I observed happen last season in a game).

If a pitcher reaches or exceeds any of the mandatory rest limitation in a GAME, then once they are removed as pitcher, they may not be reinserted as a pitcher for that game.

Specific example was a starting pitcher throwing 92 pitches over 6.1 innings.  He was relieved as pitcher and moved to a position.  He was reinserted as pitcher in the 10th inning of an extra inning game.  So after throwing 92 pitches, he plays a position for 3 innings, then back on the mound.  Under these rules, as written, nothing would prevent this from occurring and that pitcher would still have 18 pitches allowed before reaching his 110 daily limit.  Exactly what MTH touches on in his second point in his post above.

If they were to add some provision that a pitcher exceeding 30 pitches in any one game cannot re-enter that game (but would be allowed to appear in a subsequent game that same day).  Additionally, there should be some daily limit across multiple games in the same day (i.e, 75 pitches?) so that a pitcher who threw 38 pitches in G1 of a doubleheader could throw up to 27 pitches max in G2. All other daily rules would apply.

Bumstead is correct, but this changes come playoffs when you can play three games (DH on day 1, if needed game on day 2) in the best of three format.

Last edited by Nuke83