Skip to main content

Reply to "Q&A Tommy John Surgey"

Danny Boydstron,

quote:
“I will let you know in about 12 months”

This decision needs to be made as soon as he gets his Dr.’s release to begin rehab, usually between 10 to 12 weeks after the surgery. In the past a conservative approach was used and the pitcher did not start pitching competitively for 18 to 24 months. During this period in the past Dr.Marshall had his recovering pitchers back with in 11 months pitching competitively. Now recovery times have caught up to Dr.Marshalls recovery timelines.
Dr.Marshall is the one who taught Tommy John himself how to recover and at the same time changed his force application allowing Tommy to also establish the record for time on the mound after successful TJ surgery. Normally pitchers return to the mechanics that destroyed their original UCL and the new one having no revascularization and capabilities to repair itself degrades even faster hence the modern proliferation of more of the same repeat surgeries.

quote:
“Told by most folks that he had pretty solid mechanics”

Hence the proliferation of all the related injuries produced by these injuriously solid mechanics. These same experts everywhere still call out “perfect mechanics” and refuse to make the changes that will make a difference.

quote:
“The one thing that is a fact though, is our arms are doing something that is completely unnatural for the arm and over time, this unnatural action will catch up to you”

This is one of the false excuses that have been used by everybody, especially the ones that teach pitching because they have no clue or curiosity as to why their clients get injured.
All the arm articulations from underneath to over the top are well within the ranges of motions produced by multiple hinged human arm motion and completely natural.

20dad,

quote:
“many reason's for tj surgery”
“DB-there are different reasons for different folks to have TJ”

There is only one reason for UCL degradation! The backwards bouncing action of the traditional pitching motion at initial forwards torso rotation after transition forcing outwards rotation of the humerus (eccentrically) rather than under the control of voluntary loading contractions of this action to attain full length then forwards contraction from further back.

quote:
“overuse being a big one”

Overuse is an excuse used by kinesiologically uneducated Dr.s now passed on as truth to all.
Misuse would be a better term. It is entirely mechanical!!

quote:
“i am of the opinion that the player is throwing harder than the body is ready for”

You actually do not need a UCL to throw if you throw properly (although I would suggest having one); unfortunately the centrifugal force mechanic that is being taught everywhere uses this ligament to help stabilize your elbow at the end of transition.

The MLB pitcher D.A.Dickey was born with out a UCL!

Dickey, a huskily bearded father of three, said: “Doctors look at me and say I shouldn’t be able to turn a doorknob without feeling pain, and I shouldn’t be able to turn the key and start my car without feeling pain. But I’m still here. I feel I have a whole career ahead of me.”

quote:
“most all pitchers that i've seen/heard need it throw 90+. couple that with over use?”

The degrading mechanic “forearm bounce” is present whether you throw 45 or 90, micro tearing the UCL with every pitch.

Clevelanddad,

quote:
I saw Sandy Koufax's retirement press conference with the media the other day. He knew he was doing things his arm was not supposed to do.

Sandy actually had better mechanics than today’s pitchers and suffered from a congenital arthritic condition that degraded his elbow even faster from supinated pitches.

To all,

To rid yourself of this injurious mechanic you need only bring the ball out of your glove down, back then up to driveline height by supinating (thumb up) your forearm (first 90 degree outward rotation of the humerus) them immediately raise the inside of your elbow up while it is still laid back (second 90 degree outwards (transition) rotation of your humerus and now at full range of motion) causing a lengthier forwards ball driving action eliminating forearm bounce.

Unfortunately the baseball establishment teach is the opposite and comes with a derogatory term to go along with their injurious teach. They call the proper pendulum swing used by many youth pitchers “Pie throwing” and immediately change it to the injurious pronation (thumb down) swing.
Last edited by Yardbird