Skip to main content

Reply to "Quakes Pre-summer Showcase"

TPM posted:
LousyLefty posted:

Aren't the coaches paid to be at most of these showcases?  I thought they were paid to be at Headfirst/Showball, etc? I'm not advocating for this particular "showcase". Just saying collecting a paycheck is normal.

The bigger question I finding myself asking is WHICH coach is showing up?  I was at USA baseball JO's last year and TWO coaches at a school my son would LOVE to attend (so I noticed the logos on their polos right away) were watching their game.  (one left fairly quickly to watch another game) Rarely have I seen two from the same school so I pulled up their coaches roster (with pictures)  it was the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator.  Great news for my kiddo.  Then I remembered a big showcase was happening in another state at this exact same time, if these guys were here, who was there? Yep, a bunch of parents paid a bunch of money and this school sent their operations guy.  I'm sure he knows way more about baseball than I do.  But I'm guessing he had very little actual recruiting clout. I would be quite disappointed if I had that school on our list of reasons why we had chosen that camp. But what do I know, I'm just a baseball mom trying not to mess up her own kid's recruiting journey...  

D1 baseball only allows 3 paid coaches to be on their staff. Some programs have a lot of unpaid coaches on staff.   

Those paid coaches are the only ones allowed to leave campus to recruit.

However, it does allow unpaid coaches to work at off campus showcases and camps and get paid. They do report back to coaches as to players that may be of interest to their specific program.

D1 baseball coaches may not accept money for observing. We have had a lengthy discussion on that a few months back.

Is that what you meant in your post above?

I guess I was trying to say that if a coach was paid to be there or not doesn't determine if the camp should be considered beneficial. And that, when we are selecting events for our players, to analyze which of the coaches will be there, based on your timeline and position, an operations guy isn't going to cut it (example: rising senior MIF and this might be the only time you get in front of that school, it might be better to find a way to get in front of the head coach or recruiting coordinator).  I think that paying these guys to be at camps is a mutually beneficial situation and don't think it should be looked down on. My player is a 2022 LHP, I feel like any coach can get him on a watch list if they want to.   The situation last year was a learning moment for me, I hadn't realized before then that the guy who was in charge of recruiting WASN'T necessarily the guy that worked the showcase camp. (edited "was" to "WASN'T" sorry for lack of proofing before posting)

Last edited by LousyLefty