Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about Bat Speed (Tee Exit Velocity)"

I know this thread is a little old but I just had to chime in.  Why does it seem like a certain percentage of people on here - by no means a majority but some - are numbers haters?  Early on here I have encountered some really smart baseball people.  And I think we all understand no single number stat or projectable body type guarantees success.  But on the other hand there are numbers that guarantee failure and numbers that at least show potential.  If you top out at 80mph you will never be drafted period.  If you throw 100 you have about a 100% chance of being drafted.  You may or may not succeed but you will be drafted.  An exit velocity of 75  is going to be too slow for pro ball.  And probably d1 as well.  Remember its not just about power.   Its about being able to wait that little extra tick before starting your swing.  A catcher with a pop time of 2.50 will not be a catcher long.  The numbers do matter.  And they are a great objective way to see if your son is on track.  And its ok if he is a little behind.  Just has to work a little harder.  But the answer is not to say the numbers are invalid.