Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about Bat Speed (Tee Exit Velocity)"

Originally Posted by slider8:

I am new to this forum but I have enjoyed reading all the advice and learning from the exp parents/coaches etc. I never played baseball, so I am still learning a lot. My boys have played and I have helped out and we have been a baseball family for 12 yrs now. My youngest, I guess he would be a 2020 (12 now) had his exit speed measured the other day from his instructor. Off the tee it was 75. He has always been a power hitter but also hits for average. Not really sure what all these #'s mean at a younger age, if anything.

Welcome!  I also have a 13u, class of 2020.  There are starting to be a few of us now.  Hopefully we all enjoy our ride together!  75 off tee is really really good for a 2020.  What the number means is he has the physical bat speed to be a great hitter.  Now all the other particulars come into play.  As we have said before on this thread high bat speed does not.guarantee success but low bat speed guarantees failure.  So for example the 2020 kids who have an exit velocity of say 50 or 52 are going to find it really difficult to get the ball out if the infield on the 90ft diamond.  For states that use 54 their chances are a little better but still problematic.  Look forward to hearing about your son's progress!