Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about High School Tryouts"

Just got home from tryouts and first cut was announced tonight. My son is still alive at this point. Here's how it breaks down....

They divided the kids into 3 groups for workouts tonight...

Group A were kids that were later told they are "penciled in", meaning they are definitely on the freshman team. One 8th grader (a LH pitcher of course) was in this group.

Group B were kids that were definitely going to be cut and were told so as a group after workouts tonight. This was about a dozen kids.

Group C (including my son) were the 'bubble group' according to the coaches. There are 7 kids in this group including two 8th graders...my son (trying out for catcher & 1B) and a friend of my son's who is also trying out for catcher. This group was told there are 7 kids for 3 spots.

Tryouts for group C will continue Friday night and Saturday, with final cuts being announced Saturday.

After the cuts were announced, my son was pulled aside by the varsity coach and told he's doing well and though he's not "penciled in" at this point, he needs to keep up what he's doing.

So we'll see how it goes this weekend and I'll post the results when we get them.

Thanks.
Last edited by YHF