Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about lifting"

Son just turned 17. He's 6'1-6'2 and about 185 LBS. He started doing strength and conditioning when he was 12. Just band work until he was 14. Then he started lifting with his HS team 2X a week for a about 4 months out of the year, freshman and sophomore year.

Last July we started him lifting with a trainer on his own. Trainer has outstanding credentials. He was lifting 3X per week until Oct, and then moved to 2X per week, as he picked up 2X per week with HS program. So 4X per week total in addition to doing 6 days of Driveline and hitting/fielding/pitching practice. He has been doing Driveline since October. Driveline initially wrote him a custom lifting program, trainer looked it over and said they were already doing most of what they had down for him. 

I went to the gym with him today. I never go. Trainer was excited because he had a PB in squats. It seemed like a lot of weight and it got me wondering....When does the benefit of lifting so much no longer outweigh the risk of injury? At what point do you say...this is enough weight? Is there such a thing? 

There are a lot of podcasts and opinions out there. Just wanted feedback from members who are further down the line. Thoughts? Opinions?