Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about Northwestern and Transfer Portal Numbers"

A fair amount of recruiting is done by word-of-mouth, that is, your travel team coach (or high school) will recommend your son to schools.  Do your son's coaches think he can play at that level?  Are they willing to recommend him right now?  If yes, ask if they'll put in a word before the camps; if not, you need to know why not.

I would answer yes. The guy that ran his previous travel organization, who was also his varsity HC until he just retired, actually took my son to an NU game to introduce him and another kid to their HC. It was a great game as well (walk off win against Illinois) and the fun part was when the NU HC actually immediately recognized and remembered my son before his varsity HC said anything and talked to him for a while (of course he is now gone...).

My son is with a new organization now, mainly because the one he was with is going in a different direction (less competitive) and his "new" HC is actually the coach he has been working with since he was 7 years old (taught him to hit, catch a baseball, and acted like a great role model for him - plus he is probably one of the most well respected travel coaches in our area with over 20 years experience). I know he would gladly recommend my son and knows he is going there this week, but he's also the kind of guy that likes to see you try first on your own and would then help out when you are ready and ask him for it. He's given me a long list of potential places he thinks my son would be good at and was very honest - when he heard my son liked Vanderbilt he said "sure, your son could play for them...if he wants to be a bullpen catcher the rest of his life and fetch them snacks". Last year his program placed 12 kids at various colleges from D1 to D3. They are very conscious of the process and really seem genuinely willing to help, where needed.