Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about Northwestern and Transfer Portal Numbers"

NW is a Big 10 bottom feeder and will especially stay that way with the west coast additions coming in. That being said it's not completely inept baseball like Iona or St. Peters, they're just not going to win many games against the top 1/2 of D1 baseball.

The new guy was probably the best hire they could have brought in given his background. They have a nice little stadium as well.

The amount of portal guys is because as of the first day of the semester they did not have a coaching staff. I also would have jumped ship. I would expect the type of kid they were recruiting in years past - to no longer be considered.

I also wouldn't worry about test scores too much. They are recruiting based on athletic ability first - it is not going to resemble the Ivy league recruiting reqs. I can assure you those kids at Vanderbilt, UNC, Duke, Stanford, etc are not all 33/34 ACT guys. Granted the level of baseball is much better there but a 25 and Bs most likely doesn't present any admissions challenge.

I will add - despite their record it is not in the same wheelhouse as HA D3 baseball. A player seriously considering Big 10 baseball would not be fishing in the same pond. Academic fit and athletic fit are two different things and two different timelines. I'm sure you know this but if there is no other D1 interest odds are it is not the right fit.