Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about PGCrosschecker.com ratings"

Interesting topic and some good points made on both sides of the aisle. Its unfortunate that the topic was raised by an obvious tool with an agenda.
From what I've seen of PG ratings over the years- and I've checked thousands of profiles- is that very few players score less than a 7. Personally I've never seen less than a 6, and they are a rare site indeed.
The reality is that there are a miniscule percentage of players that a sleeping blind man can tell are the elite talents. They usually have several tools that would grade out much higher than average, or one tool that is flat out off the charts. For these players,it really matters little if they attend a PG Event or get a grade, things will pretty much take care of themselves.
As you slide down the scale, there's a larger group of 8.5-9.0 guys...and a much larger number of decent players...lets say guys in the 7-8 range. Getting separation in this group is difficult. These players begin to all look alike, and making an accurate eval off a weekend view is very difficult. This becomes a bigger problem as the number of players increases and the number of different people doing the evaluating increases.
Therefore, you end up with a boatload of 7.0's and 7.5's...and from my observation this is the bulk of the scores from the players at these anybody can attend events.
The majority of players that I have seen ranked as 7s are going to be D3/NAIA guys out of high school out in this part of the world, or will head to JUCO.
I do see players who are scored lower than I know they should be. I've seen guys rated as 9.5 that I know are rated way too high, but I have the advantage of seeing these players much more than PG does.
I'd agree with the original post that perhaps the description of the scale is misleading. .
Keep in mind that there is a pretty significant difference between a top 30 and a bottom 30 D1 program. A top 20 D2 school would compete very well with many D1 programs......it isn't a competitive designation necessarily.
Finally, in my opinion, if you obtain a PG score between 7 and 8, it probably does you no good to use this when communicating with a D1 college coach. In the eyes of this rating system, you are an average player who has aspirations of playing in college...and there's nothing wrong with that.