Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about PGCrosschecker.com ratings"

For my inaugural post on HSBBW, I can only echo the complimentary things that have been said about Perfect Game. My son went to a recent showcase; the level of play was very good. As many have suggested previously on this thread, those who might rate a 5 or below simply chose not to attend. By this time in their baseball careers, they may have come to the realization that this is just not what they are going to do in college, and their parents have accepted that as well. That said, we saw one competitor there that looked like he might not have the same skill level, but there is no doubt that he competed. He received a lower than what appears to be an average PG rating, but a bit higher than one might have expected, perhaps in part because he was convinced he could play this game at a high level. I don't know, but maybe the PG raters saw this in the kid, and gave him some subjective recognition for his effort and the way he carried himself; not cocky, by any means, but sure in his mind that he belonged. When this guy is done playing, it will be because they have dragged him off the mound; he will not go quietly. It could be that projectability is not just about brute strength, size or fastball velocity.
The best thing about the time at the PG showcase is that my son met kids from other parts of the country, and all of them seemed to share a love of baseball. They talked about snow in Colorado and Idaho versus Texas, high school and college football, and no doubt several other topics he failed to mention to me. He had a blast and I think the experience will help prepare him for the road to the next level.