Skip to main content

Reply to "Question for Midwest Prospects, PG and others of the same:"

Oldbat-never,
I have been curious about the average too but even if PG or Midwest Prospects were to determined this, it would only reflect those that attended their events. I think I know what you are trying to accomplish. You would like to know where your son stacks up. Is he average, above average, good, poor or excellent? If you try to put this into a formula, I think you will end up chasing a ghost. This can be very frustrating because proper evaluation is probably the most important aspect of recruiting.
I have to go with Former Observer on this one. The average is really meaningless. What we have to identify is the minimum acceptable level in order to make the “cut”. Understand too that this minimum is variable depending on the player’s other skills and the needs or requirements of the recruiting college. In other words, colleges are looking for a total package but they do put a significant amount of importance on specific skills. Different skills also weigh in with different degrees of importance. Depending on a player’s position will also determine the importance of his different skills. Catchers don’t need to run and pitchers don’t need to hit. First basemen don’t need to have a strong arm but they need to have a good bat. Third basemen have to be gutsy and quick but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are fast. Outfielders and shortstops probably have to have more skills than the other positions but not necessarily the best skills (except speed).
Get as many evaluations as you can and ask the evaluators where they think your son can play and why. You will start to develop an understanding of his strengths and weaknesses and how your son stacks up against the other players.
Best of luck,
Fungo

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.