Skip to main content

Reply to "Questioning how fast to be small D1 pitcher"

Will posted:

Everybody is enamored by speed. I ask what is the best pitch in baseball? the answer is strike one no matter what the speed. I heard many years ago the  three most important parts of pitching are location movement and velocity. In that order. Notice velocity is last.. I truly believe that. I recall many years ago playing a team who had a pitcher who did throw hard yes he struck out 9 or 10. Our pitcher not nearly so but he was around the plate all day. By the way we won. The harder throwing pitcher walked 5 or 6 guys  2 of which scored. Our ppitcher no walks maybe 2 strike outs and our guys picked up the ball. I believe the final score was 2-1 in our favor. 

during my coaching days I remember somebody telling me this kid is trying out and he throws really hard. He did throw hard unfortuanetely not over the plate. 

You can think this, but recruiters don't.  If you throw a perfect game and top at 82, no one cares. That's just the truth of college recruiting. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying its a fact.  There is a reason every RC is carrying a radar gun and why they don't pick it up if a kid isn't obviously throwing hard.