Skip to main content

Reply to "Questioning how fast to be small D1 pitcher"

nycdad posted:

"The challenge for my son ... he will still only be 17 yrs old when he graduates from high school while most of the nation's best in any given class will be 19 yrs old when they receive their HS diploma.The challenge for my son ... he will still only be 17 yrs old when he graduates from high school while most of the nation's best in any given class will be 19 yrs old when they receive their HS diploma."

Have to get over the age thing, my kids will both be 17 when starting college. Control what you can control.

Had a funny conversation with my kid last night after a basketball game. He was beat down after the close loss and stated "I can't wait until next year (8th grade) so I don't have to work so hard for the rebounds". Kid he was trying to box out all game was dam near my size so I kind of felt bad for him, lol. The point is he is a 2025 with a March birthday. So facing older kids is not new to him. I agree with NYDAD: it is a destructive mind-set we had to drop a while ago, but I will be honest with you and say it is very hard to do at times. I guess it comes back to having no control over it. I tell my kid if he wants to keep pursuing sports as his dream, one of the biggest pitfalls is to compare yourself to someone else. Another's success will not limit yours unless you mentally let it happen.