Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions about early commits"

Pedaldad posted:

Are there players and parents from 2020 and beyond that are excited about these new rules and intent on waiting to commit?

If committing such young players are not violating the letter of the new rules, they are at least violating the intent.  Should the NCAA step up the rules change to coincide with softball, and say no contact of any kind until September 1 of an athletes junior year?

I have a peripheral baseball relationship with some 2021s and 2022s. They are not happy with the rule change. They are planning to commit before junior year. If they do that, it will be without a sit-down with the coach on campus. Less information to make the decision. Maybe this will end up causing them to wait, but I doubt it.

In the context of these recent changes, I think softball probably did the right thing by not allowing any direct contact before junior year. It's not perfect, but I think it takes some of the pressure off of the young kids.

Does anyone know if this rule change prohibits current college players from showing young prospects around the school's baseball facilities? Many of these young prospects know college players through their coaches, travel programs, or high schools.