Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions about early commits"

Pedaled posted:

Recruits and parents should reject pressure to commit to a P5 or any institution because that school will move on to Joe Blow. The web pages of PG are littered with ghosts of prep star past that committed to the best school for all the wrong reasons. They end up with no spot on the team, a bunch of debt, and a lifetime of regret.

If Joe Blow and his parents will blindly accept an offer they can't discuss and can't understand from coaches they can't meet, it is irresponsible and potentially catastrophic financially.  People that make these types of decisions tend to be...not good at life. 

If I am understanding what you have said, I totally agree.

This is a big part of the problem, parents and players are so afraid that if they don't accept an offer, even a walk on opportunity, they know it will go to the next guy. IMO, allowing your pre teen son to commit to a program early because everyone else is doing it, is irresponsible.  And coaches having their admissions office show recruits around is just another attempt at the NCAA to correct an issue but knew that there are more ways to skin a cat.

The new rules were meant to slow down the process, if more people sat back and allowed it to happen, you will find players committing when it is the right time for THEM to committ, not when everyone else is.

D2 and JUCO programs are full of former D1 players, who probably should have started there in the first place. I left out D3 because usually, those recruits have specific career goals and are high achieving students.