Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions about early commits"

I never understood the problem with committing early. I completely understand why many are opposed to it, but I don't know why the NCAA and coaches need to combat it. 

Sure, plenty of kids don't end up at the school they committed to, but how much of that has to do with players and parents not doing their research? There is a school that commits 15-19 kids every single year and only have 1 to 3 players drafted from their program each season. If your son is the 15th player to commit to this class, as a parent how do you not step in?  They already offered 14 other players before you. It isn't going to work. 

We know a player who committed to a mid major over the likes of plenty of ACC and Big 12 schools. Why? They already had 12 kids committed and more offers out. Even if he progresses as expected, is the money going to be there, is the roster space going to be there, etc? This is a family that did their research and about 40% the recruiting class at the Big 12 school never set foot on campus. 

I don't have a problem with kids committing early if it makes sense. If you are a stud freshman/soph, you will most likely be a stud junior who is more mature and ready to commit. If you didn't pan out/progress as expected, it was never meant to be in the first place. I think fall of junior year is the time to really start looking into schools and committing if the offer is there. Frosh/Sophs can wait.