Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions about early commits"

Chico Escuela posted:
GaryMe posted
I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but a fair number of kids "commit" knowing they are going to be walk-ons without the benefit of a scholarship (and the attactched NLI). I would wager a guess that up to 20% of announced commitments do not include athletic aid, just my guess. If 27 players on the D1 roster are on scholarship (that's the maximum amount and not a mandated number) and rosters are filled at 35 players across the board, then around 22% of those guys on the roster either committed knowing they weren't going to get athletic aid or lost their scholarships along the way and decided "whatever, I just want to play at XXX."

If you are right, then do the walk-ons get any benefit with admissions (or would that vary by school)?  If my "commitment" to Arkansas means the coach will let show up at fall practices and try to make the team, do I have any assurance I will even be admitted?  And if not, then committing in some cases just means "if you get in, then you can come to try outs"?  Admission at state flagship universities isn't a given, even for in-state applicants.  

Sometimes admission is tougher at state schools for in-state kids...schools like those out of state tuition dollars.