Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions about early commits"

2019Dad posted:
FriarFred posted:
2019Dad posted:
Qhead posted:

Assuming 22 players verbally committed is correct, how did the Arkansas coach pare that down by the NLI signing date?  He had to go back to some of those players and say sorry I changed my mind, we can't give you an NLI?  Wouldn't word start to spread about a particular program over-committing, which would discourage future potential recruits from verbally "committing" to them?  Not picking on Ark - just using them as an example.  I don't understand how a program can get away with this without damaging their reputation?

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks....al-of-arms-for-2019/

20 signed NLIs. One of those was drafted and signed.

I dont believe that the use of  the word "Signees" is actually how many kids signed NLI, but on kids committing to come to school and have a roster spot in the fall to try and make team.  The article lists 12 pitchers alone in the class.  There are also an existing 17 or so non-senior pitchers on the current roster.  Only 3 seniors total are listed on current roster and there are 17 current freshmen listed.  The numbers just dont work out.  There will have to be a decent amount of turnover from current roster and I think a fairly high percentage of those "signees" are not going to show up to campus in the fall IMHO... Parents should really look at how the numbers breakdown and discuss with your son so that everyone has a real feel for committing early and what the odds of making the team are

Well, the first sentence of the article says: "The Razorback baseball program and head coach Dave Van Horn announced the signing of 20 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent for the 2019 season this week." I took that to mean that 20 signed NLIs.

That could be but if 20 actually signed a NLI (see below), that would mean at a minimum he used 5 scholarships out of his 11.7 for the Freshman class (25% scholly minimum x 20 kids) which is possible, just seems unlikely with all the other talent on that team that 43% of available $ would go to one class and that if he had 20 kids on scholarship in Freshman class that only leaves room for 7 more (27 max players on scholly).   Disclosure:  Just a dad trying to figure out how those kind of numbers work when you see these size of signing class and I could be 100% wrong in my interpretation.  Of course, several kids will most likely never step foot on campus and go JUCO.  Again, as GoDad pointed out earlier, this large of a class would seem to be a potential red flag on committing to that particular school. 

Here is definition from NLI FAQ site:  

When I sign an NLI what do I agree to do?

When you sign an NLI, you agree to attend the institution listed on the NLI for one academic year in exchange for that institution awarding athletics financial aid for one academic year.