Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions about early commits"

Chico Escuela posted:
GaryMe posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
GaryMe posted:
PABaseball posted:

Curious because I do not know the answer. 

What happens if all these kids who signed their NLI show up in the fall. The returning juniors and seniors, who were cut, choose to remain at the school without baseball, but still on their scholarship? 

A senior getting cut from a team might not want to transfer at that point. Friends, classes, housing, etc.

The players would still count against the 11.7 and the 35 man roster. 

How does their tuition get paid for and how do coaches go about this? I would assume this is very rare but you can't tell kids they can't attend school there anymore. 

That is a great question, and I would love to see what happens when a senior returns to a P5 school and isn't exactly welcomed back by the team, and they are obligated to pay scholarship $$$ to him. Would one of those new NLI guys get cut? That would really be an interesting scenario.

I’m thinking the senior gets assigned to run foul poles all practice, every practice, is ordered to report for special 5 am workouts, and that coaches will be on the lookout for the slightest rule infractions as an excuse to kick him off the team.

And that behavior probably stops or coach is likely fired after the kid and his family threaten to report him to the NCAA and sue him for harassment. That would never fly, IMO. It wasn't the kid's idea to promise a 4-year guaranteed scholarship. It was the school/coach.

And do you really think a coach would take it out on another human being with corporal punishment because he couldn't do basic math and project the probability of over committing his funds? If so, that is the saddest thing I've heard all day.

I was being hyperbolic. But even so, I think your tone is a bit over the top—did you think I personally insulted you somehow? 

Yes, I really do believe a coaching staff mIght try to make life unpleasant for a player they wanted to get rid of. No, I have no personal knowledge. I have heard stories of big time programs doing some pretty callous things to their athletes; but they are just that—stories. Other than your faith that all coaches would act with goodwill, do you have evidence I am wrong?

As for a lawsuit: it would be hard to prove anything if a staff were even a little careful about how they hazed an athlete.  People get fired from jobs every day in circumstances that they think were discriminatory, but a tiny percentage of those situations actually result in litigation. It also would be very hard to justify the cost of a suit to recover 25% of one year’s college tuition.  (And I say that as someone who has been a licensed attorney for over 20 years.)

And as a licensed attorney, you likely know that sometimes the threat of a lawsuit and the bad PR that brings is enough to get the action sought, right Matlock?

Last edited by GaryMe