Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions about early commits"

GaryMe posted

And as a licensed attorney, you likely know that sometimes the threat of a lawsuit and the bad PR that brings is enough to get the action sought, right Matlock?

Not sure why you feel the need to be so snarky. Yeah, you come across as fairly hostile IMO. But against my better judgment, I’ll respond:  No, the threat of a lawsuit with little chance to succeed isn’t an effective deterrent. Universities have in-house lawyers, so their marginal cost to handle letters threatening to sue is essentially zero. Has your experience as a litigator been different?

You declined my suggestion that you offer some evidence to support your position. In my experience, that speaks volumes.  I’ve admitted I’m speculating. But I know, for example, of a soccer coach who threatened to revoke an acquaintance’s daughter’s offer of admission to a major state U when the daughter was having second thoughts about playing and being a first-year student. Could the coach have really done so?  I have no idea. One of the parents is a judge, so the threat of legal consequences didn’t seem to weigh very heavily.