Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions for staff during visit"

Let me clarify.  We asked questions but very rarely if you have done your research.  I had a few each time but had drilled son to ask them and I very rarely asked anything unless the coach started the conversation with me.  This was the one time that I did not get involved was with the coaching staff.  I did almost all of the pre-work and investigation but I did not talk to the coaches.  I have heard too many coaches truthful comments that you can call me and talk about anything you want except baseball.  I will talk baseball with your son but not you.  I will talk grades, girlfriend, living conditions, and so on but never baseball.  So I took that in to recruiting.  They may answer your questions but know that for most deep down they do not want to answer your question.   They will gladly answer the same question from your son but don't want to talk baseball with you.  That is still my approach today four years into it.  We talk life and family and church but never baseball unless they bring it up.  That is how it is with most of my coaching friends.  That was my approach in HS baseball also.  When I coached and as a parent.  If they brought it up I would talk but I never instigated the conversation.  I also know for some it hurts their kid's recruiting when the parents ask questions.  I've stood in too many groups of coaches and heard them talk about players and parents.  It is amazing the things you learn.