Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions for those that know."

I played four years at Binghamton University from 2005-2009 and went through all of the recruiting hoops that the next generation now gets to go through. I can say looking back that for most guys out there that do not stand out ( 95 MPH, 6'6") it is all about a numbers game.

Just as the coaches treat it as a numbers game in the sense that the more kids the see the better chance they have of signing the best, the players need to do the same. I went to tons of showcases and got myself in front of tons of coaches.

The ones I was interested in I emailed before to introduce myself. I also tried to go to showcases where certain schools usually atteneded. I did all the right drills, and of course Binghamton never came up as a possibility up until almost the last showcase.

My point is that the more showcases you go to, not only do you get better that them, but more coaches get to see you and the chance of a bad showcase is not the end of the world, just the end of a few hundred bucks. My other point is keep your options open and if someone expresses interest check it out. It is a lot easier to be recruited than to try to recruit.

( I do talk about my wild and crazy journey that led me to Binghamton in my book if anyone is interested.)

Thank you,
Ken Jacobi - Author of “Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School and Life as a Division I College Athlete”, a firsthand experience into the life of a college baseball player.

For more information on my book visit www.GoingwiththePitch.com