Skip to main content

Reply to "Questions to ask"

Wow, Homerun04, I'm impressed! That's an even longer list of questions than the one I compiled early last fall!

Now that the recruiting process is all over and done with for my son, I will confess that I emailed my entire list of questions to a recruiting coordinator before my son's official visit at the school. Big Grin The RC asked a fellow baseball coach to call me and answer everything. When he called me, he seemed a bit reserved and I wondered if he was flabbergasted at my inquisitiveness. At that point, I backed off a little and commented that I was sure we would get many of our questions answered during the visit. I asked if he had ever gotten a list of questions like that before and he replied "no, we never have" -- and he has been coaching for quite some time! Believe me, at that point, I wanted to crawl under a rock! That said, the coaches were very gracious during our visit and did not seem to hold anything against me or my son.

In hindsight, I would have taken my list of questions on the visit and kept them to myself until close to the end. Most likely, I would have learned a lot simply from listening to them and many of my questions would have been moot by then. If there were still a few unanswered questions, I would have scanned my list and asked the most important ones. Honestly though, you can get a pretty good feel for a program simply by conversing with the coaches, and in the end, many of your questions don't seem all that important in the big scheme of things.

That said, let me recommend that parents of prospects seek out current players, players who have just graduated from the school, and parents of players and ask LOTS of questions about the program and coaches if they are willing to talk. You can learn a lot about a program based on what people say -- and don't say.